Tuesday 1 September 2015

I Don't Want To Make $100k Through Passive Income

Yes it's true.

In this age of Make Six Figures While You Sleep and Learn How I Make $10k p/w through Passive Income, I want to make very unpassive income.

I want to be so unpassive that my time is bursting with action.  I want to exchange my time for dollars. I want to be inefficient with my time. I want one-on-one.

I absolutely love the idea of making money in my sleep or raking in the moolah while I luxuriate elsewhere, don't get me wrong, but deep in my soul I love the thrill and satisfaction from working at one project at a time, with one client at a time.

Technology has liberated the world, enabled massive human-to-human connection to share ideas and knowledge on a level not previously enjoyed. It has unshackled many from the 9-5 grind of the Industrial Revolution work model. The barrier to entry for starting your own business is lower than ever before; you can take your expertise, start a business, build a website, learn how to DIY your marketing both on and offline, and run your business for very little financial outlay. For free if you're dedicated to frugality.

I am a big fan of the DIY, learn-as-you-go model of building your own business, as you all know! I've spent the best part of 5 years persistently learning, challenging my limits (sanity!) and creating products and services from my skill set.



Without the e-course and online training that I have paid for over the years, I would not be where I am today. I have learnt from the most incredible people who have spent years honing their craft and shaping their expertise into online courses and ebooks. They have packaged their knowledge into electronically delivered modules that they create once and sell to many.

On the tech side, I know people who write software or create apps to sell on a massive scale.

That is Passive Income.

And the temptation is to follow suit.

In my world, where I connect daily online with six figure passive income entrepreneurs, it is so enticing to try the same. You end up thinking that creating passive income is the only way to live the life you love. The over-riding message is to move away from one-on-one model and towards the one-to-many model.

It's so damn attractive, I tell you! I hear the siren song....

I have been toying with the idea of passive income for a while and brainstorming what I could e-package and sell. There surely must be something I know that will help others grow and enhance their businesses and lives. I played with the idea of an online art course or a How-To-Start-a-Product-Business-Online course. Or a motivation mindset course for newbie start-ups.

But nothing really lit me up.

Because what lights me up IS the one-on-one business model. I love speaking with a client, hearing about their business, understanding their individual needs and coming up with something truly unique.

And don't get me started on the HIGH I get when I gain the job and after I deliver the job. Now bottling and selling that feeling would be a great passive income product!

I don't mind what I do; chairs, fabrics, video backdrops or art and illustration.

The whole labour-intensivity of my work is so delightful. I can only go as fast as my brain ticks over and as fast as my hands move across the page or screen.

Each job is started from scratch. I repeat the steps for every client. Hours are spent thinking, mulling, designing, creating and producing.

It is the anti-thesis of Passive Income!

So "yeah but no but"...

I don't want to earn $100k through passive income. But I DO want to earn $100k through active income!

It might take me longer, in fact it will take me a year if my reverse-engineering is correct, but it'll be a year filled with joy, satisfaction and my own personal idea of luxury.

So take a good look at your business and marry it with what really, honestly lights you up. Is it passive income? Maybe it isn't....and that's Ok too. Do more of what makes you truly happy.

Emma
x










STOP PRESS : Are you doing videos for your business? Want to make better looking videos? Want to know 3 common video mistakes and how to avoid them? Get my FREE video here.






1 comment:

  1. Absolutely loved that piece. Love the brute honesty. Love the conviction!

    #berawbegenuinebehappy

    ReplyDelete